Spaghetti with Cockles, Garlic and Wine
1 tbsp olive oil
2 Cloves garlic, very finely sliced
1/2 fresh red chili, deseeded and finely diced
300g Cockles, washed and ready to use
75 ml dry white wine
150g dry spaghetti
A handful fresh, flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Grated zest 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp capers, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste and extra butter to taste.
1) Put a large pan of salted water on to boil, then heat the butter and oil together in a large, heavy bottomed frying pan with a tight fitting lid
2) Gently fry the garlic for about 4 minutes, until fragrant
3) Add the chili, and stir fry for another 2 minutes
4) Turn the heat up to medium, add your cockles to the chili and garlic, pour in the wine, allow to sizzle and evaporate for another couple of minutes, then turn down the heat and cover.
5) When your pan of water is at a rolling boil, add the spaghetti and stir to prevent it clumping. Cook to packet instructions.
6) After 5 minutes, take the lid off your cockles, and discard any that have remained closed.
7) Add the chopped parsley, lemon zest and capers, and stir to combine.
8) Add your cooked spaghetti to the pan, toss thoroughly and season with salt and pepper to taste, and an extra knob of butter if you're feeling indulgent!